This was the part of the challenge taken by Tony.
This brief report by T Hayes is specifically on the first part of the challenge. Comprehensive findings, notes and drawings are linked for more detailed reading or for downloading below.I used three pairs of binoculars with different specifications for this challenge:-
10x50 bak4 prism, fully multi coated.
12x50 bak4 prism, fully coated.
15x50 bak7 prism, fully multi coated.
These were all low to mid range binoculars pricewise.
As well as observing and noting the changing position of the Galilean moons, I tested the quality and features of each pair of binoculars and included these in the challenge. It also became a test of my vision.
My first observations were on 8-9/04/17 Initial observation started at 23.55 (all times quoted are local) with a second on 9-10/04/17 at 23.55. The next night was totally overcast so the third observation was on 11-12/04/17 at 11.30 through breaks in the clouds. The final observations were taken on 25-26/04/17 and 37-28/04/17.
As my finding cover three pages of text and several pages of drawings and screenshots using Stellarium for reference I have added them in three separate links.
All findings can be downloaded below, including original sketches, Stellarium screenshots for comparison and this page as a word document or a PDF
Observe the major satellites of Jupiter and draw or photograph them, then identify which each of them are. You can also follow this on consecutive nights and note (draw) how the positions of the Galilean moons change from night to night.